Two-Year Fellowship in Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery – McMaster University
About the Program
One fellowship position is available every year commencing July 1st. The fellowship is 2 years in duration. There will be a senior (second year) and a junior (first year) fellow each year. Due to the considerable number of Canadian applicants, it is unlikely that external candidates will be considered.
- 80% clinical and 20% research
- Clinical time will consist of one day in the outpatient clinic. Operating time will be distributed between preceptors at the McMaster site, St. Joseph’s Health Care, Brantford General Hospital and Humber River Regional Hospital. Ability to travel between sites by car is required.
- 3-6 month rotation in gyne-oncology learning laparoscopic dissection of the retroperitoneum. This mastery is essential in endometriosis surgery.
- Rotation in urogynecology can be arranged if interested
- Elective opportunities are available
- There are opportunities for Gynecology call during fellowship
- In the senior year, the fellow will spend time mentoring community gynecologists who are learning laparoscopic techniques
- Fellows participate in grand rounds presentations; resident and medical student teaching
- Four weeks paid holidays, benefits
The goal of the fellowship program is to create future academic leaders in the field of advanced gynecological endoscopy and endometriosis care. Graduates will be able to be the future leaders in the provision of excellence in clinical care, research in our specialty and the training of GYN surgeons for the future.
Fellows will get exposure to various surgeons and techniques in minimally invasive surgery. Over the duration of the training fellows will obtain proficiency in the following:
- Pre-operative evaluation and decision-making for complex surgical consultations
- Management (medical and laparoscopic) of severe, deeply-infiltrating endometriosis and pelvic pain
- Resection of invasive bladder disease and repair, cystoscopy, assisting General Surgery colleagues in laparoscopic bowel resections
- Advanced operative hysteroscopy (Asherman’s syndrome, septoplasty, myomectomy, ablation)
- Office-based operative procedures (hysteroscopy, hysteroscopic sterilization, global endometrial ablation)
- Transvaginal ultrasonography for benign gynecological disease. Office Sonohysterography for cavitary assessment and fibroid mapping
- Advanced laparoscopic surgery (myomectomy, lysis of dense adhesions, , ovario/salpingo-lysis)
- Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, Laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy, Vaginal Hysterectomy
- Pelvic support surgery
- Laparotomy using as minimally invasive techniques (mini-laparotomy, laparoscopic-assisted open myomectomy, cherney/maylard incisions, internal iliac artery ligation)
- Anatomy of the pelvis and retropertioneum. Principles of electrosurgery and laser
Although it is not a prerequisite for application to the fellowship program, we strongly encourage applicants to visit our program for an elective experience in minimally invasive GYN surgery.
For more information on Electives in Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery, please visit McMaster University's Obstetrics & Gynecology "Electives" page.
The fellowship program encourages and supports research endeavors. Fellows are expected to be academically productive. All fellows must complete at least one research project and present at one research meeting. The Canadian-graduate fellow is encouraged to complete a post-graduate degree (i.e. masters of education, clinical epidemiology or public health) during the fellowship. All research initiatives will be supported with external and departmental funding.
To apply, please complete the submit the following:
- CanSAGE Application Portal
- Personal Statement
- Copy of Medical Degree
- Copy of either Medical Council of Canada Evaluation Exam results or copy of Certificate of Specialty
- Copy of Medical School Transcripts
- Three letters of reference
Incomplete applications with missing documents will not be considered.
The application deadline for the 2021 start TBD in the coming weeks.
Letters and program applications should be directed to the Fellowship Program Assistant for MIGS. Please visit our web page, McMaster University's Obstetrics & Gynecology, "Contact Us" page for full contact information.
The application deadline is August 1st for starting July 1st in the following year. The Canadian Match Day is September 24th, 2018. Interested candidates can contact the Fellowship Program Assistant providing a letter of intent regarding their career goals and aspirations, along with their curriculum vitae, Postgraduate application, copy of medical degree and transcript and three references. Royal College of Canada Specialty Certification in Obstetrics and Gynecology of Canada or equivalent is required by July 1st of the entry year. Candidates interested and planning an academic career are preferred.
Nicholas A. Leyland, BASc, MD, MHCM, FRCSC
Chief and Chair Obstetrics & Gynecology
Minimally Invasive Gynecological Surgery
1280 Main St. West, HSC-2F39
Hamilton ON L8S 4K1